Definition of fundy
1. fund [ n ] a reserve of money set aside for some purposeUsed in print:
(The Atlanta Constitution...)
It urged that the next Legislature `` provide enabling funds and re-set the effective date so_that an orderly implementation of the law may be effected '' .
The grand_jury took_a_swipe_at the State_Welfare_Department 's handling of federal funds granted for child_welfare_services in foster_homes .
`` This is one of the major items in the Fulton_County general assistance program '' , the jury said , but the State_Welfare_Department `` has seen_fit to distribute these funds through the welfare departments of all the counties in the state with the exception of Fulton_County , which receives none of_this money .
The jurors said they realize `` a proportionate distribution of these funds might disable this program in our less populous counties '' .
Nevertheless , `` we feel that in_the_future Fulton_County should receive some portion of these available funds '' , the jurors said .Synonyms fund monetary_fund Related Terms money budget savings revolving_fund deposit war_chest pension_fund trust_fund slush_fund petty_cash sinking_fund
2. fund [ n ] a supply of something available for future use
Examples: "he brought back a large store of Cuban cigars"
(William S. Haymond, "Is Distance an Original...)
The meaning of_this , as we shall see , is that he had no fund of visual memory-images of objects as objects ; and , therefore , he could not recognize even long-familiar things upon seeing them again .Synonyms stock store fund Related Terms accumulation stores issue infrastructure seed_stock provision hoard store stock stock
3. fund [ v ] invest money in government securitiesSynonyms fund Related Terms invest investment_company
4. fund [ v ] place or store up in a fund for accumulationSynonyms fund Related Terms collect
5. fund [ v ] furnish money for
Examples: "The government funds basic research in many areas"
6. fund [ v ] accumulate a fund for the discharge of a recurrent liability
Examples: "fund a medical care plan"
7. fund [ v ] convert (short-term floating debt) into long-term debt that bears fixed interest and is represented by bondsSynonyms fund Related Terms finance
8. fund [ v ] provide a fund for the redemption of principal or payment of interestSynonyms fund Related Terms supply investment_company
9. fund [ n ] a financial institution that sells shares to individuals and invests in securities issued by other companiesSynonyms investment_trust investment_firm fund investment_company Related Terms nondepository_financial_institution mutual_fund face-amount_certificate_company unit_investment_trust closed-end_fund real_estate_investment_trust nondiscretionary_trust hedge_fund
|Definition of functionally|
|Definition of functionally_illiterate|
|Definition of functionary|
|Definition of functioning|
|Definition of fund|
|Definition of fund_raise|
|Definition of fund-raise|
|Definition of fund-raising_campaign|
|Definition of fund-raising_drive|