Definition of poot
1. pot [ n ] metal or earthenware cooking vessel that is usually round and deep; often has a handle and lidUsed in print:
(Robert Penn Warren, Wilderness....)
A pot was boiling on the coals .
Adam looked at the pot .
He dumped the pan of crumbled hardtack into the boiling pot of lobscouse .
`` Good_ole lob-scuse '' , he mumbled , and stirred the pot .
(Irving Stone, The Agony and the Ecstasy....)
Argiento had been trained so rigorously by the Jesuits that Michelangelo was unable to change his habits : up before dawn to scrub the floors , whether they were dirty or not ; water boiling on the fire for washing laundry every_day , the pots scoured with river sand after each meal .Synonyms pot Related Terms cooking_utensil vessel coffeepot kettle pottle Dutch_oven dixie stockpot teapot saucepot urn marmite caldron
2. pot [ n ] a plumbing fixture for defecation and urinationUsed in print:
(W. H. Gass, "The Pedersen Kid," in The...)
You want me to drop my pot '' ?
Once he went_after Hans and dumped his pot over the banister .
Pa 'd been shit sick in that pot .
That pot put Pa in an awful good_humor whenever he thought_of it .Synonyms pot toilet throne crapper potty stool commode can Related Terms plumbing_fixture potty_seat flushless_toilet flush_toilet bathroom toilet toilet_seat toilet_bowl defecate
3. pot [ n ] the quantity contained in a potUsed in print:
(B. J. D. Meeuse, The Story of Pollination....)
The queen afterward keeps incubating and guarding her eggs like a mother hen , taking a sip from_time_to_time from the rather liquid honey in her honey pots .Synonyms pot potful Related Terms containerful
4. pot [ n ] a container in which plants are cultivatedUsed in print:
(Helen Hooven Santmyer, "There Were Fences"...)
My great_grandmother , I have been told , made her garden her great pride ; she cherished rare and delicate plants like oleanders in tubs and wall-flowers and lemon verbenas in pots that had to be wintered in the cellar ; she filled the waste spots of the yard with common things like the garden_heliotrope in a corner by the woodshed , and the plantain_lilies along the west_side of the house .Synonyms pot flowerpot Related Terms container planter
5. pot [ v ] plant in a pot
Examples: "He potted the palm"
(Chicago Daily Tribune...)
He does n't think that potting them from a deck_chair on the south_side of the house with a quart glass of beer for sustenance is entirely sporting .Synonyms pot Related Terms implant repot
6. pot [ n ] the cumulative stake in a game (such as poker)Synonyms jackpot kitty pot Related Terms stake poker
7. pot [ n ] (often followed by `of') a large number or amount or extent
Examples: : "a batch of letters" "a deal of trouble" "a lot of money" "he made a mint on the stock market" "it must have cost plenty"
8. pot [ n ] a resistor with three terminals, the third being an adjustable center terminal; used to adjust voltages in radios and TV setsSynonyms pot potentiometer Related Terms potential_divider
9. pot [ n ] street names for marijuanaSynonyms gage dope sens locoweed green_goddess weed pot sess skunk smoke mary_jane grass Related Terms cannabis smoke
10. pot [ n ] a strong-smelling plant from whose dried leaves a number of euphoriant and hallucinogenic drugs are preparedSynonyms marihuana ganja pot grass dope weed gage sess sens skunk Mary-Jane Cannabis_sativa marijuana Related Terms hemp acapulco_gold
11. pot [ n ] (informal) slang terms for a paunchSynonyms potbelly bay_window corporation tummy pot Related Terms belly colloquialism
12. pot [ n ] the most commonly used illicit drug; considered a soft drug, it consists of the dried leaves of the hemp plant; smoked or chewed for euphoric effectSynonyms gage dope pot grass marijuana marihuana weed Mary_Jane sess sens smoke skunk ganja cannabis Related Terms soft_drug controlled_substance dope acapulco_gold hemp joint
|Definition of posture|
|Definition of posturing|
|Definition of postwar|
|Definition of posy|
|Definition of pot|
|Definition of pot_cheese|
|Definition of pot_farm|
|Definition of pot_likker|
|Definition of pot_liquor|