Definition of pito
1. pit [ n ] a sizeable hole (usually in the ground)
Examples: "they dug a pit to bury the body"
(Louis Zara, Dark Rider....)
Somewhere , beyond , where shadows lurked , must be the yawning pit of which Papa preached and the dreadful Lake_of_Fire .
(Bruce Palmer, "My Brother's Keeper", Many Are...)
What in_the_name_of_God was he doing , crouched in a timbered pit on the wrong bank of the river ?Synonyms pit cavity Related Terms hole sawpit borrow_pit tar_pit quicksand barbecue_pit sandpit fire_pit divot
2. pit [ v ] set into opposition or rivalry
Examples: "let them match their best athletes against ours" "pit a chess player against the Russian champion" "He plays his two children off against each other"
(Kenneth Reiner, "Coping with Runaway Technology"...)
Individual human strength is needed to pit against an inhuman condition .Synonyms oppose pit play_off match Related Terms confront playoff
3. pit [ n ] a trap in the form of a concealed holeSynonyms pitfall pit Related Terms trap
4. pit [ v ] mark with a scar
Examples: "The skin disease scarred his face permanently"
5. pit [ n ] lowered area in front of a stage where an orchestra accompanies the performersSynonyms pit orchestra_pit Related Terms area theater
6. pit [ n ] the hard inner (usually woody) layer of the pericarp of some fruits (as peaches or plums or cherries or olives) that contains the seedSynonyms pit stone Related Terms seed pericarp cherry_stone peach_pit
7. pit [ v ] remove the pits from, as of certain fruit such as peachesSynonyms stone pit Related Terms remove endocarp
8. pit [ n ] a concavity in a surface (especially an anatomical depression)Synonyms fossa pit Related Terms concavity cavity pit_of_the_stomach glenoid_fossa glenoid_fossa
9. pit [ n ] a surface excavation for extracting stone or slate
Examples: : "a British term for `quarry' is `stone pit'"
10. pit [ n ] the hard inner (usually woody) layer of the pericarp of some fruits (as peaches or plums or cherries or olives) that contains the seed
Examples: "you should remove the stones from prunes before cooking"
11. pit [ n ] a workplace consisting of a coal mine plus all the buildings and equipment connected with itSynonyms pit colliery Related Terms workplace mine coal_mine coalmine
|Definition of Pisum_arvense|
|Definition of Pisum_sativum|
|Definition of Pisum_sativum_arvense|
|Definition of Pisum_sativum_macrocarpon|
|Definition of pit|
|Definition of pit_bull_terrier|
|Definition of pit_of_the_stomach|
|Definition of pit_run|
|Definition of pit_stop|