Definition of duc
1. duck [ v ] to move (the head or body) quickly downwards or away
Examples: : "Before he could duck, another stone struck him."
(Amber Dean, Encounter with Evil....)
Grosse ducked and sniggered .
(Thomas B. Dewey, Hunter at Large....)
Ducking , Mickey tripped and fell to one side , landing heavily on the wood floor .Synonyms duck Related Terms move
2. duck [ n ] small wild or domesticated web-footed broad-billed swimming bird usually having a depressed body and short legsUsed in print:
(John Cheever, "The Brigadier and the Golf Widow,"...)
I would not want to be one of those writers who begin each morning by exclaiming , `` O Gogol , O Chekhov , O Thackeray and Dickens , what would you have made_of a bomb_shelter ornamented with four plaster-of-Paris ducks , a birdbath , and three composition gnomes with long beards and red mobcaps '' ?
(E. Lucas Myers, "The Vindication of Dr. Nestor,"...)
He stroked the hens and they responded with delighted clucks , he gobbled with the turkeys and they at_once were all attention , he quacked with the ducks , and cackled with a pair of exceedingly flattered geese .Synonyms duck Related Terms anseriform_bird quack-quack mallard duckling drake sheldrake bufflehead black_duck teal widgeon shoveler diving_duck ruddy_duck dabbling_duck pintail goldeneye canvasback pochard redhead scaup wild_duck wood_duck mandarin_duck muscovy_duck sea_duck Anatidae duck_down
3. duck [ v ] submerge or plunge suddenlyUsed in print:
(Cliff Farrell, Trail of the Tattered Star....)
Ducking inside , he found that three rifles were stacked in a corner .Synonyms duck Related Terms dive ducking
4. duck [ v ] dip into a liquid
Examples: : "He dipped into the pool"
5. duck [ v ] avoid or try to avoid fulfilling, answering, or performing (duties, questions, or issues)
Examples: "He dodged the issue" "she skirted the problem" "They tend to evade their responsibilities" "he evaded the questions skillfully"
6. duck [ n ] (in cricket) a score of nothing by a batsmanSynonyms duck's_egg duck Related Terms score cricket
7. duck [ n ] flesh of a duck (domestic or wild)Synonyms duck Related Terms poultry duckling
8. Duck [ n ] Last name, frequency rank in the U.S. is 5998Synonyms Duck
9. duck [ n ] a heavy cotton fabric of plain weave; used for clothing and tentsSynonyms duck Related Terms fabric
Rhymes withduck piddock paddock haddock shaddock
|Definition of duchess_of_ferrara|
|Definition of duchess_of_windsor|
|Definition of duchesse_de_valentinois|
|Definition of duchy|
|Definition of duck|
|Definition of duck_down|
|Definition of duck_hunter|
|Definition of duck_hunting|
|Definition of duck_pate|