Definition of warrent
1. warrant [ v ] show to be reasonable or provide adequate ground for
Examples: "The emergency does not warrant all of us buying guns" "The end justifies the means"
(Frank Oppenheimer, "Science and Fear-- A Discussion...)
In child_care , the opposite extreme prevails ; procedures change rapidly and parental confidence probably exceeds anything warranted by established psychological theory .
(John Michael Ray, "Rhode Island's Reactions...)
The editor of the Newport_Advertiser could discover no evidence of extenuating circumstances in the Brown trial which would warrant making an exception to the infliction of capital_punishment .Synonyms justify warrant Related Terms confirm justification
2. warrant [ n ] a writ from a court commanding police to perform specified actsUsed in print:
(Jim Berry Pearson, The Maxwell Land Grant....)
Although wanted by the sheriff for killing an old_man named Asher_Jones , the warrant for his arrest had never been served .
The sheriff and District_Attorney_Mills hastily swore_out a number of warrants against men who had been riding about armed , according_to signed statements by Chavez and Dr._I._P._George , and ordered Deputy_Barney_Clark of Raton to rescue the posseman .Synonyms warrant Related Terms writ legal_document search_warrant pardon death_warrant bench_warrant commutation reprieve cachet law
3. warrant [ v ] stand behind and guarantee the quality, accuracy, or condition of
Examples: "The dealer warrants all the cars he sells" "I warrant this information"
4. warrant [ n ] formal and explicit approval
Examples: "a Democrat usually gets the union's endorsement"
5. warrant [ n ] a type of security issued by a corporation (usually with a bond or preferred stock) that gives the holder the right to purchase a certain amount of common stock at a stated price
Examples: "they offered warrants along with the fixed-income securities"
6. warrant [ n ] a written assurance that some product or service will be provided or will meet certain specificationsSynonyms guarantee warrantee warranty warrant Related Terms assurance security deposit stock_warrant guarantee
|Definition of warping|
|Definition of warplane|
|Definition of Warr|
|Definition of warragal|
|Definition of warrant|
|Definition of warrant_officer|
|Definition of warranted|
|Definition of warrantee|
|Definition of warranter|