Definition of safty
1. safety [ n ] the state of being certain that adverse effects will not be caused by some agent under defined conditions
Examples: "insure the safety of the children" "the reciprocal of safety is risk"
(Mr. America, 4:6...)
You should have a_couple_of training partners to stand_by when you make your first experiments , just for safety .
(Organic Gardening and Farming,...)
Good taste and versatility , plus safety from spray poisons would be enough to recommend the frequent use of such a fruit , even if its nutritional values were limited .
(Bonnie Prudden, "The Dancer and the Gymnast"...)
Even if gymnastics are not the ultimate goal , the good tumbler will be a better dancer , a better athlete , and a human_being with a greater margin of safety in any activity .Synonyms safety Related Terms danger condition security invulnerability biosafety salvation risklessness
2. safety [ n ] a safe place
Examples: "He ran to safety"
3. safety [ n ] a device designed to prevent injuryUsed in print:
(Clayton C. Barbeau, The Ikon....)
Warren eased his rifle 's safety off and gently , slowly sneaked another clip of ammunition from one of the cloth bandoleers that marked the upper part of his body with an X .Synonyms guard safety safety_device Related Terms device safety_catch fender
4. safety [ n ] the successful act of striking a baseball in such a way that the batter reaches base safelyUsed in print:
(The Sun, [Baltimore],...)
Keegan , a 6 - foot - 3 - inch 158 - pounder , gave_up the Orioles ' last two safeties over the final three frames , escaping a load of trouble in the ninth when the Birds threatened but failed to tally .Synonyms safety base_hit bingle Related Terms hit homer double single triple baseball baseball
5. safety [ n ] contraceptive device consisting of a thin rubber or latex sheath worn over the penis during intercourseSynonyms rubber safety safe prophylactic condom Related Terms contraceptive
6. safety [ n ] a score in American football; a player is tackled behind his own goal lineSynonyms safety Related Terms score American_football
|Definition of safehold|
|Definition of safekeeping|
|Definition of safely|
|Definition of safeness|
|Definition of safety|
|Definition of safety_arch|
|Definition of safety_belt|
|Definition of safety_bicycle|
|Definition of safety_bike|