Definition of ren
1. rein [ n ] one of a pair of long straps (usually connected to the bit or the headpiece) used to control a horseUsed in print:
(David Stacton, The Judges of the Secret Court....)
Payne dismounted in Madison_Place and handed the reins to Herold .
(Stephen Longstreet, Eagles Where I Walk....)
He slapped the reins on the back of the powerful gray horse and held_on as the sulky 's wheels hit a pothole and came_out with a jolt and went_on .
(Richard Ferber, Bitter Valley....)
She showed her surprise by tightening the reins and moving the gelding around so that she could get a better look at his face .
He took the reins just below the bit and held them firmly , and it was his turn to smile now .Synonyms rein Related Terms strap bearing_rein leading_rein bridle harness
2. rein [ v ] control and direct with or as if by reins; as of a horseSynonyms rein draw_rein rein_in harness Related Terms control
3. rein [ v ] stop or check by or as if by a pull at the reins
Examples: "He reined in his horses in front of the post office"
4. rein [ v ] stop or slow up one's horse or oneself by or as if by pulling the reins
Examples: "They reined in in front of the post office"
5. rein [ v ] keep in check
Examples: "rule one's temper"
6. Rein [ n ] Last name, frequency rank in the U.S. is 11968Synonyms Rein
7. rein [ n ] any means of control
Examples: "he took up the reins of government"
Rhymes withwren bren
|Definition of Reimers|
|Definition of reimpose|
|Definition of reimposition|
|Definition of reims|
|Definition of rein|
|Definition of rein_in|
|Definition of rein_orchid|
|Definition of rein_orchis|
|Definition of Reina|