Definition of rato
1. rat [ n ] any of various long-tailed rodents similar to but larger than a mouseUsed in print:
(Richard F. McLaughlin, et al., "A study of the...)
Verloop ( ' 48 ; ' 49 ) found these shunts in the human_being but was unable to find them in rats .
Ellis , Grindlay and Edwards ( ' 52 ) also were unable to find them in rats .
(Jacob Robbins et al., "The thyroid-stimulating...)
There is some reason to think that thyroglobulin synthesis may proceed independently of iodination , for in certain transplantable tumours of the rat thyroid containing essentially no iodinated thyroglobulin , a protein that appears to be thyroglobulin has been observed in ultracentrifuge experiments ( Wolff , Robbins and Rall , 1959 ) .
(E. Gellhorn, "Prolegomena to a theory of the emotions"...)
But even in relatively primitive laboratory animals such_as the rat , sex_activity closely identified with the hypothalamus and the visceral_brain is enhanced by the neocortex .Synonyms rat Related Terms rodent black_rat brown_rat bandicoot_rat jerboa_rat rice_rat pocket_rat
2. rat [ n ] someone who works (or provides workers) during a strikeSynonyms strikebreaker blackleg rat scab Related Terms worker scab
3. rat [ v ] take the place of work of someone on strikeSynonyms rat blackleg scab Related Terms work scab
4. rat [ v ] give away information about somebody
Examples: "He told on his classmate who had cheated on the exam"
5. rat [ v ] catch rats, esp. with dogsSynonyms rat Related Terms capture
6. rat [ v ] give (hair) the appearance of being fuller by using a ratSynonyms rat Related Terms pad
7. rat [ n ] a person who is deemed to be despicable or contemptible
Examples: "only a rotter would do that" "kill the rat" "throw the bum out" "you cowardly little pukes!" "the British call a contemptible person a `git'"
8. rat [ v ] employ scabs or strike breakers in (an industry)Synonyms rat Related Terms hire industry
9. rat [ v ] desert one's party or group of friends, for example, for one's personal advantageSynonyms rat Related Terms defect rotter
10. rat [ n ] a pad (usually made of hair) worn as part of a woman's coiffureSynonyms rat Related Terms pad hairdo
11. rat [ n ] one who reveals confidential information in return for moneySynonyms betrayer rat squealer blabber informer Related Terms informant fink nark supergrass betray tattle denounce
|Definition of rastas|
|Definition of raster|
|Definition of raster_font|
|Definition of Rastorfer|
|Definition of rat|
|Definition of rat_chinchilla|
|Definition of rat_kangaroo|
|Definition of rat_race|
|Definition of rat_snake|