Definition of qute
1. quote [ v ] repeat a passage from
Examples: "He quoted the Bible to her
(Rocky Mountains News, [Denver, Colorado],...)
Liston is Bill_Liston , baseball writer for the Boston_Traveler , who quoted Jensen as saying :
(Jack Kaplan, "The Health Machine Menace: Therapy by...)
Authorities hesitate to quote exact figures , however , believing that any sum they come_up with is only a surface manifestation - turned_up by their inevitably limited policing - of the real loot of the medical racketeer .
(J. F. Vedder, "Micrometeorites", in Francis S. J...)
There have been contradictory reports from 1958 Delta_2 , and the data quoted here are believed to be the more reliable .
They quote about the same mass threshold as that of the U.S. apparatus , but a momentum threshold about 40 times greater .
(Marvin Schiller, "The Sheep's in the Meadow,"...)
Then epistolatory me was a foreign correspondent dispatching exciting cables and communiques , full of dash and wit and glamor , quoting from the books I read , imitating the grand styles of the authors recommended by a teacher in whose special , after_school class I was enrolled .Synonyms quote cite Related Terms repeat misquote reference quotation citation quotation
2. quote [ n ] a punctuation mark used to attribute the enclosed text to someone elseSynonyms quote inverted_comma quotation_mark Related Terms punctuation scare_quote double_quotes single_quote
3. quote [ v ] name the price of
Examples: "quote prices for cars"
4. quote [ v ] refer to for illustration or proof
Examples: "He said he could quote several instances of this behavior"
5. quote [ v ] put quote marks around
Examples: "Here the author is quoting his colleague"
6. quote [ n ] a passage or expression that is quotedSynonyms quotation citation quote Related Terms excerpt epigraph mimesis misquotation mention reference
|Definition of quotability|
|Definition of quotable|
|Definition of quotation|
|Definition of quotation_mark|
|Definition of quote|
|Definition of quoter|
|Definition of quotidian|
|Definition of quotient|
|Definition of quotient_verdict|