Definition of quien
1. queen [ n ] the only fertile female in a colony of social insects such as bees and ants and termites; its function is to lay eggsUsed in print:
(B. J. D. Meeuse, The Story of Pollination....)
I must add at_once that these animals are what we call `` queens '' , young females that have mated in the previous summer or autumn .
Even some of the queens will die before the winter is over , falling prey to enemies or disease .
The staminate willow catkins , then , provide their visitors with both nectar and pollen ; a marvelous arrangement , for it provides exactly what the bee queens need to make their beebread , a combination of honey and pollen with which the young of all species are fed .
If we manage to keep track of a Bombus queen after she has left her feeding place , we may discover the snug little hideout which she has fixed_up for herself when she woke_up from her winter sleep .
As befits a queen , a bumblebee female is rather choosy and may spend considerable time searching for a suitable nesting_place .Synonyms queen Related Terms insect queen_bee
2. queen [ n ] a female sovereign rulerUsed in print:
(Irving Fineman, Woman of Valor: The Life of Henrietta...)
Bertha_Szold was more like Meg , the eldest March girl , who `` learned that a woman 's happiest kingdom is home , her highest honor the art of ruling it , not as a queen , but a wise wife and mother '' .Synonyms queen female_monarch queen_regnant Related Terms king king female_aristocrat Guinevere Elizabeth Cleopatra isabella_i Jezebel Victoria queen_of_england liliuokalani Elizabeth mary_queen_of_scots Esther Boleyn royalty
3. queen [ n ] the wife or widow of a kingUsed in print:
(Guy Endore, Voltaire! Voltaire!...)
Seeing him in that condition , and about to enter the hall where the King , the Queen , the whole royal_family and all the members of the highest aristocracy would be present , Grimm and the Abbe_Raynal and_others tried to stop him .Synonyms queen Related Terms female_aristocrat queen_dowager Jezebel queen_regent Boleyn Esther queen_consort Seymour catherine_de_medicis eleanor_of_aquitaine catherine_howard marie_antoinette nefertiti catherine_parr royalty
4. queen [ v ] become a queen, of a chess pawnSynonyms queen Related Terms move_up promote chess
5. queen [ n ] one of four face cards in a deck bearing a picture of a queenSynonyms queen Related Terms face_card pack_of_cards
6. queen [ n ] the most powerful chess pieceSynonyms queen Related Terms chessman chess
7. queen [ n ] something personified as a woman who is considered the best or most important of her kind
Examples: "Paris is the queen of cities" "the queen of ocean liners"
8. queen [ v ] promote to a queen, as of a pawn in chessSynonyms queen Related Terms promote promote
9. queen [ n ] offensive terms for an openly homosexual manSynonyms faggot fag fairy pansy queer poof poove pouf nance queen fagot Related Terms gay_man
10. queen [ n ] a competitor who holds a preeminent positionSynonyms king queen world-beater Related Terms rival
11. Queen [ n ] Last name, frequency rank in the U.S. is 1814Synonyms Queen
12. Queen [ n ] Woman's first name, popularity rank in the U.S. is 923Synonyms Queen
13. queen [ n ] especially large and only member of a colony of naked mole rats to bear offspring sired by only a few malesSynonyms queen Related Terms naked_mole_rat
14. queen [ n ] female catSynonyms queen tabby Related Terms domestic_cat
|Definition of Quechua|
|Definition of quechuan|
|Definition of Quechuan_language|
|Definition of queckenstedt's_test|
|Definition of Queen|
|Definition of Queen_Anne's_lace|
|Definition of queen_bee|
|Definition of queen_charlotte_sound|
|Definition of queen_consort|