Definition of pick-up
1. pickup [ n ] a light truck with an open body and low sides and a tailboardUsed in print:
(Ralph J. Salisbury, "On the Old Santa Fe Trail...)
Hardly had Mrs._Roebuck driven off when a rusty pick-up truck , father or grandfather of Senor `` Moriarty 's '' Ford sedan , came screeching to a dust swirling stop , and a brown face appeared , its nose threatened by shards of_what had once been the side window .
The car was just about to us , its driver 's fat , solemn face intent on the road ahead , on business , on a family in Sante_Fe - on anything but an old pick-up truck in which two human_beings desperately needed rescue .Synonyms pickup pickup_truck Related Terms truck technical
2. pickup [ n ] (informal) a warrant to take someone into custody
Examples: "put out a pickup on that man"
(Frances and Richard Lockridge, Murder Has...)
`` Send_out a pickup on Mrs._Mason and the boy when you 've got enough to go_on '' , Bill said .Synonyms pickup Related Terms bench_warrant colloquialism
3. pickup [ n ] anything with restorative powers
Examples: "she needed the pickup that coffee always gave her"
(Organic Gardening and Farming,...)
Try that late winter pickup when you are so tired_of cold and snow that you feel you just can't take another day of it .Synonyms pickup pick-me-up Related Terms corrective perk_up
4. pickup [ n ] a casual acquaintance; often made in hope of sexual relationshipsSynonyms pickup Related Terms acquaintance pick_up
5. Pickup [ n ] Last name, frequency rank in the U.S. is 29827Synonyms Pickup
6. pickup [ n ] the act or process of picking up or collecting from various places
Examples: : "garbage pickup is on Mondays and Thursdays"
7. pickup [ n ] mechanical device consisting of a light balanced arm that carries the cartridgeSynonyms pickup pickup_arm tone_arm Related Terms mechanical_device record_player
8. pickup [ n ] the attribute of being capable of rapid acceleration
Examples: "his car has a lot of pickup"
9. pickup [ n ] an electro-acoustic transducer that is the part of the arm of a record player that holds the needle and that is removableSynonyms pickup cartridge Related Terms electro-acoustic_transducer crystal_pickup record_player stylus
10. pickup [ n ] the act of taking aboard passengers or freightSynonyms pickup Related Terms acquiring transportation
|Definition of picknicker|
|Definition of pickpocket|
|Definition of Pickrell|
|Definition of Pickron|
|Definition of pickup|
|Definition of pickup_arm|
|Definition of pickup_truck|
|Definition of picky|
|Definition of picnic|