Definition of kingi
1. king [ n ] a male sovereign; ruler of a kingdomUsed in print:
(Nathan Rapport, ""I've Been Here before!"...)
Dr._H._V._Hilprecht , Professor of Assyrian at the University_of_Pennsylvania , dreamed that a Babylonian priest , associated with the king Kurigalzu , ( 1300 B.C. . ) escorted him to the treasure chamber of the temple of Bel , gave him six novel points of information about a certain broken relic , and corrected an error in its identification .
(Douglas Ashford, "Elections in Morocco: Progress...)
There were rumors that the Ministry_of_the_Interior favored an arbitrary , `` non-political '' process , which were indirectly affirmed when the King personally intervened in the planned meetings .
The day following his intervention the palace issued a statement reassuring the citizens that `` the possibility of introducing appeals concerning the establishment of electoral lists , lists of candidates and finally the holding of the consultation itself '' would be supported by the King himself .
In January , 1958 , the Minister_of_the_Interior announced that an election law was ready to be submitted to the King , the rumors of election dates appeared once_again , first for spring of 1958 and later for the summer .
They figured prominently in the Balafrej government of May , 1958 , which the King was reportedly determined to keep in office until elections could be held .Synonyms king male_monarch Related Terms queen queen sovereign Belshazzar Arthur Attila Frederick_II Athelstan Pyrrhus Ahab Messiah Bruce aelfred ashurbanipal darius_iii Herod Leonidas Louis_XIII Louis_XIV Mithridates ferdinand_i king_of_france akhenaten alaric Clovis Artaxerxes_I carl_xvi_gustav croesus David jeroboam nebuchadnezzar edmund_i edmund_ii edward_the_elder edwin egbert ethelbert ethelred ethelred fahd faisal farouk_i juan_carlos ferdinand_the_catholic frederick_i frederick_william_i frederick_william_ii frederick_william_iii frederick_william_iv gaiseric gilgamesh gordius gustavus gustavus gustavus_v hammurabi ezekias husain cyrus_ii kamehameha_i macbeth darius_i Edward olaf_ii otho_i philip_ii philip_ii rameses saul sennacherib solomon lucius_tarquinius_superbus victor_emanuel_ii victor_emanuel_iii xerxes_i james_iv philip_augustus philip_v philip_of_valois ptolemy_i ptolemy_ii Artaxerxes_II King_of_England royalty
2. King [ n ] Last name, frequency rank in the U.S. is 30Synonyms King
3. king [ n ] a very wealthy or powerful businessman
Examples: : "an oil baron"
(Kenneth Allsop, The Bootleggers and Their Era...)
He was also at this time , although not so interwoven in high politics and the rackets as Torrio and Capone , the most powerful and most dangerous mob leader in the Chicago underworld , the roughneck king .Synonyms power business_leader king top_executive tycoon magnate big_businessman mogul baron Related Terms businessman oil_tycoon
4. king [ n ] a competitor who holds a preeminent positionUsed in print:
(The Sun, [Baltimore],...)
Kerr , who set the world_record earlier this month in New_York with a clocking of 1.09.3 , wiped_out Mills 's early pace and beat the young Big_10 quarter-mile king by 5 yards .Synonyms king queen world-beater Related Terms rival
5. king [ n ] United States woman tennis player (born in 1943)Synonyms billie_jean_moffitt_king king billie_jean_king Related Terms tennis_player
6. king [ n ] preeminence in a particular category or group or field
Examples: "the lion is the king of beasts"
7. king [ n ] one of the four playing cards in a deck bearing the picture of a kingSynonyms king Related Terms face_card
8. king [ n ] a checker that has been moved to the opponent's first row where it is promoted to a piece that is free to move either forward or backwardSynonyms king Related Terms checker checkers
9. king [ n ] United States guitar player and singer of the blues (born in 1925)Synonyms king riley_b_king b._b._king Related Terms singer guitarist
10. King [ n ] Man's first name, popularity rank in the U.S. is 1055Synonyms King
11. King [ n ] United States Baptist minister and charismatic civil rights leader who campaigned against the segregation of Blacks (1929-1968)Synonyms Martin_Luther_King martin_luther_king_jr. King Related Terms clergyman civil_rights_leader
12. king [ n ] weakest but most important chessmanSynonyms king Related Terms chessman chess
|Definition of kinetochore|
|Definition of kinetoscope|
|Definition of kinetosis|
|Definition of kinfolk|
|Definition of King|
|Definition of King_Arthur|
|Definition of king_arthur's_round_table|
|Definition of king_begonia|
|Definition of king_camp_gilette|