1. [ noun ] regulator consisting of a valve or gate that controls the rate of water flow through a sluice
Synonyms: sluice_valve floodgate penstock water_gate sluicegate
Related terms: regulator aboiteau sluice
2. [ noun ] a gate upstream from a lock or canal that is used to control the flow of water at the upper end
Related terms: gate
Similar spelling:   hedged