Definition of doble
1. double [ n ] a base hit on which the batter stops safely at second base
Examples: he hit a double to deep centerfield"
(The Sun, [Baltimore],...)
Three were doubles , Brooks_Robinson getting a pair and Marv_Breeding one .
In the ninth , Robinson led off with his second double of the night , a blast off the fence 375 feet deep into left .
Then Robinson slammed a long double to left center to score both runners .
`` Take a ride on this one '' , Brooks_Robinson greeted Hansen as the Bird third_sacker grabbed a bat , headed for the plate and bounced a third inning two run double off the left centerfield wall tonight .
It was the first of two doubles by Robinson , who was in a mood to celebrate .Synonyms double two-baser two-bagger two-base_hit Related Terms base_hit line-drive_double
2. double [ v ] increase twofold
Examples: "The population doubled within 50 years"
(Ralph J. Salisbury, "On the Old Santa Fe Trail...)
Gracias '' , I hollered , my first long swallow filling me with confidence and immediately doubling the size of my Spanish vocabulary .Synonyms double duplicate Related Terms multiply redouble geminate parlay
3. double [ a ] having more than one decidedly dissimilar aspects or qualities
Examples: "a double (or dual) role for an actor" "the office of a clergyman is twofold public preaching and private influence"- R.W.Emerson
(Frieda Arkin, "The Light of the Sea," in The...)
Mark asked , and Abel lifted his eyes from the double lines in the middle of the road , the twin white ribbons which the car swallowed rapidly as it ascended the crest of the hill and came_down .Synonyms double twofold treble threefold dual Related Terms multiple
4. double [ a ] consisting of or involving two parts or components usually in pairs
Examples: "an egg with a double yolk" "a double (binary) star" "double doors" "dual controls for pilot and copilot" "duple (or double) time consists of a multiple of two beats to a measure"
The Lenin tomb is obviously adequate for double occupancy , Moscow is a crowded city , and the creed of communism deplores waste .
(William Maxwell, The Chateau....)
They went to the Flea_Market , expecting to find the treasures of Europe , and found instead a duplication of that long double row of booths in Tours .
(Evan Esar, Humorous English; a guide to comic ,...)
The double meaning in the anatomical made it a familiar vaudeville device , as in the gags of Weber and Fields .
Indefinite reference also carries double meaning where an allusion to one person or thing seems to refer to another .
Another brand of indefinite reference arises out of the use of the double verb .Synonyms double dual duple Related Terms multiple
5. double [ a ] twice as great or many
Examples: "ate a double portion" "the dose is doubled" "a twofold increase"
(R. P. Jerrard, "Inscribed squares in plane curves"...)
In some neighborhood of an isolated tangent point in the f-plane , say **f , the function **f is either double valued or has no values defined , except at the tangent point itself , where it is single valued .
In the third category the function is double valued in this interval .
(Gerald Green, The Heartless Light....)
She was the only kind of Negro Laura_Andrus would want around : independent , unservile , probably charging double what ordinary maids did for housework - and doubly efficient .Synonyms double twofold doubled Related Terms multiple
6. double [ v ] hit a two-base hit, in baseballUsed in print:
(The Sun, [Baltimore],...)
The Orioles got a run in the first inning when Breeding , along with Robinson , the two Birds who got a pair of hits , doubled to right center , moved to third on Russ_Snyder 's single to right and crossed on Kunkel 's wild_pitch into the dirt in_front of the plate .
(Rocky Mountains News, [Denver, Colorado],...)
The Bears added two more in the fifth when McAuliffe dropped a double into the leftfield corner , Paschal doubled down the rightfield line and Cooke singled off Phil_Shartzer 's glove .Synonyms double Related Terms hit baseball
7. double [ v ] bend over or curl up, usually with laughter or pain
Examples: "He doubled and vomited violently"
(Jim Thompson, The Transgressors....)
Then , as he doubled , gasping , vomiting the breakfast he had so lately eaten , Lord straightened him with an uppercut .Synonyms double double_up double_over Related Terms bend
8. double [ v ] do double duty; serve two purposes or have two functions
Examples: "She doubles as his wife and secretary"
(Hal Kelly, "Build Hotei"...)
The aft cockpit has a * * f storage bin over six feet long that doubles as a seat .Synonyms double Related Terms go
9. double [ a ] (botany; of flowers) having more than the usual number of petals in crowded or overlapping arrangements
Examples: "double chrysanthemums have many rows of petals and are usually spherical or hemispherical"
10. double [ r ] to double the degree
Examples: "she was doubly rewarded" "his eyes were double bright"
11. double [ v ] make or do or perform again
Examples: "He could never replicate his brilliant performance of the magic trick"
12. double [ r ] downward and forward
Examples: "he was bent double with pain"
13. double [ a ] having two meanings with intent to deceive
Examples: "a sly double meaning" "spoke with forked tongue"
14. double [ n ] a stand-in for movie stars to perform dangerous stunts
Examples: "his first job in Hollywood was as a double for Clark Gable"
15. double [ n ] someone who closely resembles a famous person (especially an actor)
Examples: "he could be Gingrich's double" "she's the very image of her mother"
16. double [ a ] (genetics) used of homologous chromosomes associated in pairs in synapsisSynonyms double bivalent Related Terms univalent multivalent genetics valence
17. double [ a ] large enough for two
Examples: "a double bed" "a double room"
18. double [ r ] two together
Examples: "some people sleep better double"
19. double [ n ] a quantity that is twice as great as another
Examples: "36 is the double of 18"
20. double [ v ] bridge: make a demand for (a card or suit)Synonyms double Related Terms bid doubling
21. Double [ n ] Last name, frequency rank in the U.S. is 27774Synonyms Double
22. double [ n ] raising the stakes in a card game by a factor of 2
Examples: "I decided his double was a bluff"
|Definition of Douay_Version|
|Definition of Douay-Rheims_Bible|
|Definition of Douay-Rheims_Version|
|Definition of Doubek|
|Definition of double|
|Definition of double_agent|
|Definition of double_back|
|Definition of double_bar|
|Definition of double_bass|