Definition of commision
1. commission [ n ] a special group delegated to consider some matter
Examples: "A committee is a group that keeps minutes and loses hours" - Milton Berle
(Edward E. Kelly, S.J., "Christian Unity in England"...)
An amazing article in the Manchester_Guardian of last November , entitled `` Fate of Redundant Churches '' , states than an Archbishops ' Commission `` reported last month that in the Church_of_England alone there are 790 churches which are redundant now , or will be in 20 years ' time .
(Richard I. McCosh, "Recreation Site Selection"...)
Fishing interest calls_for a check of the species found , quantity and size , the season they are available , and the stocking program of the fish commission .Synonyms commission committee Related Terms administrative_unit board jury subcommittee conservancy fairness_commission presidium vestry election_commission Economic_and_Social_Council_commission blue_ribbon_commission ethics_committee finance_committee planning_commission politburo PAC zoning_commission national_security_council select_committee standing_committee steering_committee committee_member commissioner entrust
2. commission [ v ] put into commission; equip for service; of shipsUsed in print:
(Booton Herndon, "From Custer to Korea, The 7th Cavalry"...)
Chandler had been commissioned in the Medical_Service_Corps and was serving as a personnel officer for the Kansas_City_Medical_Depot when he decided that if he was going_to make the Army his career , he wanted to be in the fighting part of it .Synonyms commission Related Terms equip
3. commission [ n ] a fee for services rendered based on a percentage of an amount received or collected or agreed to be paid (as distinguished from a salary)
Examples: "he works on commission"
(Your Federal Income Tax. 1962 Edition (Revised to...)
Outside salesmen deduct all expenses attributable to earning a salary , commission , or other compensation .Synonyms commission Related Terms fee
4. commission [ n ] the act of granting authority to undertake certain functionsUsed in print:
(Jay Williams, The Forger....)
Among us , we three handled quite a few small commissions , from spot drawings for advertising_agencies uptown to magazine work and quick lettering jobs .Synonyms commission commissioning Related Terms authorization mandate
5. commission [ n ] an official document issued by a government and conferring on the recipient the rank of an officer in the armed forcesSynonyms military_commission commission Related Terms certificate military
6. commission [ n ] a formal statement of a command or injunction to do something
Examples: "the judge's charge to the jury"
7. commission [ n ] the act of committing a crimeSynonyms perpetration committal commission Related Terms crime perpetrate
8. commission [ n ] the state of being in good working order and ready for operation
Examples: "put the ships into commission" "the motor was out of commission"
9. commission [ v ] charge with a taskSynonyms commission Related Terms authorize mission
10. commission [ v ] place an order forSynonyms commission Related Terms order
11. commission [ n ] a group of representatives or delegatesSynonyms delegation commission delegacy mission deputation Related Terms organization Alamo diplomatic_mission embassy delegate
12. commission [ n ] a task that has been assigned to a person or group
Examples: "a confidential mission to London" "his charge was deliver a message"
Rhymes withdecommission commission commision academician mission submission admission admonition premonition ammunition definition redefinition commotion magician locomotion ambition admission edition emission addition reposition presupposition petition supposition opposition prohibition abolition requisition theoretician predisposition tradition disposition coalition proposition position transmission juxtaposition inquisition redeposition deposition competition politician reimposition dietitian extradition exhibition erudition mathematician physician acquisition demolition expedition recission inhibition repetition exposition imposition composition decomposition omission amalgamation reclamation approximation automation exclamation summation defamation animation promotion intimation consummation proclamation inflammation acclimation estimation permission venetian edition remission intermission phoenician recondition condition recognition precondition clinician decimation sedition machination attrition geriatrician pediatrician obstetrician patrician statistician suspicion cognition transition audition consumption asuncion overproduction reproduction production reduction reintroduction introduction excavation escalation conniption mortician partition optician tactician assumption titian fission logician resumption assassination benediction combination addiction concatenation predestination rejuvenation contamination contradiction procrastination profanation coordination subordination decontamination denomination determination destination culmination pollination dereliction coronation dissemination divination disinclination discrimination elimination domination abomination emanation vaccination reexamination nomination explanation extermination examination germination hallucination fascination alienation termination imagination ordination illumination inclination impersonation self-determination pagination detonation hydrogenation indoctrination incrimination diminution insemination insubordination intonation origination incoordination machination compulsion dimension emulsion propulsion tuition connection disconnection interconnection contrition dentition rendition electrician ignition recognition technician assertion compassion condemnation aleutian mention resumption distinction extinction