Definition of comission
1. commission [ n ] a special group delegated to consider some matter
Examples: "A committee is a group that keeps minutes and loses hours" - Milton Berle
(Edward E. Kelly, S.J., "Christian Unity in England"...)
An amazing article in the Manchester_Guardian of last November , entitled `` Fate of Redundant Churches '' , states than an Archbishops ' Commission `` reported last month that in the Church_of_England alone there are 790 churches which are redundant now , or will be in 20 years ' time .
(Richard I. McCosh, "Recreation Site Selection"...)
Fishing interest calls_for a check of the species found , quantity and size , the season they are available , and the stocking program of the fish commission .Synonyms commission committee Related Terms administrative_unit board jury subcommittee conservancy fairness_commission presidium vestry election_commission Economic_and_Social_Council_commission blue_ribbon_commission ethics_committee finance_committee planning_commission politburo PAC zoning_commission national_security_council select_committee standing_committee steering_committee committee_member commissioner entrust
2. commission [ v ] put into commission; equip for service; of shipsUsed in print:
(Booton Herndon, "From Custer to Korea, The 7th Cavalry"...)
Chandler had been commissioned in the Medical_Service_Corps and was serving as a personnel officer for the Kansas_City_Medical_Depot when he decided that if he was going_to make the Army his career , he wanted to be in the fighting part of it .Synonyms commission Related Terms equip
3. commission [ n ] a fee for services rendered based on a percentage of an amount received or collected or agreed to be paid (as distinguished from a salary)
Examples: "he works on commission"
(Your Federal Income Tax. 1962 Edition (Revised to...)
Outside salesmen deduct all expenses attributable to earning a salary , commission , or other compensation .Synonyms commission Related Terms fee
4. commission [ n ] the act of granting authority to undertake certain functionsUsed in print:
(Jay Williams, The Forger....)
Among us , we three handled quite a few small commissions , from spot drawings for advertising_agencies uptown to magazine work and quick lettering jobs .Synonyms commission commissioning Related Terms authorization mandate
5. commission [ n ] an official document issued by a government and conferring on the recipient the rank of an officer in the armed forcesSynonyms military_commission commission Related Terms certificate military
6. commission [ n ] a formal statement of a command or injunction to do something
Examples: "the judge's charge to the jury"
7. commission [ n ] the act of committing a crimeSynonyms perpetration committal commission Related Terms crime perpetrate
8. commission [ n ] the state of being in good working order and ready for operation
Examples: "put the ships into commission" "the motor was out of commission"
9. commission [ v ] charge with a taskSynonyms commission Related Terms authorize mission
10. commission [ v ] place an order forSynonyms commission Related Terms order
11. commission [ n ] a group of representatives or delegatesSynonyms delegation commission delegacy mission deputation Related Terms organization Alamo diplomatic_mission embassy delegate
12. commission [ n ] a task that has been assigned to a person or group
Examples: "a confidential mission to London" "his charge was deliver a message"