Definition of chiken
1. chicken [ n ] the flesh of a chicken used for foodUsed in print:
(Robert Penn Warren, Wilderness....)
`` Chicken '' , Mose said , and theatrically licked his lips .
`` Gre't big fat chicken , yeah '' .
A chicken with six tits and a tail lak a corkscrew .
`` Chicken '' , Mose said .
(Jane Gilmore Rushing, "Against the Moon,"...)
The women , keeping their voices low as they worked around the house or sat in the living_room , sounded like chickens shut_up in a coop for the night .Synonyms chicken volaille poulet Related Terms poultry fryer broiler roaster spatchcock hen capon chicken_wing breast
2. chicken [ n ] a domestic fowl bred for flesh or eggs; believed to have been developed from the red jungle fowlUsed in print:
(Orlin J. Scoville, Part-Time Farming...)
A slight change in the work schedule may cut the production of cows or chickens .
Caring for a calf , a pig , or some chickens develops in children a sense_of_responsibility for work .
Three quarters to 1 acre of good land is enough for raising fruits and vegetables for home use , and for a small flock of chickens , a cow , and two pigs .
(Ralph J. Salisbury, "On the Old Santa Fe Trail...)
But it was only Johnson reaching around the wire chicken fencing , which half covered the truck cab 's glassless rear_window .
`` Tee-wah '' , the driver cackled , his black eyes glittering behind dull silver chicken fencing .Synonyms chicken Gallus_gallus Related Terms domestic_fowl hen cock chick Dominique spring_chicken capon Orpington Rhode_Island_red bantam
3. chicken [ n ] a person who lacks confidence, is irresolute and wishy-washySynonyms chicken crybaby wimp Related Terms weakling
4. chicken [ a ] (informal) easily frightenedSynonyms yellow chickenhearted white-livered lily-livered yellow-bellied chicken Related Terms colloquialism cowardly
5. chicken [ n ] a foolhardy competition; a dangerous activity that is continued until one competitor becomes afraid and stopsSynonyms chicken Related Terms contest
|Definition of chickadee|
|Definition of Chickamauga|
|Definition of Chickasaw|
|Definition of chickasaw_plum|
|Definition of chicken|
|Definition of chicken_and_rice|
|Definition of chicken_breast|
|Definition of chicken_broth|
|Definition of chicken_cacciatora|