Definition of cardinalis
1. cardinal [ a ] serving as an essential component
Examples: "a cardinal rule" "the central cause of the problem" "an example that was fundamental to the argument" "computers are fundamental to modern industrial structure"
(Tristram P. Coffin, "Folklore in the American Twentieth...)
Historians have come to recognize two cardinal facts concerning nationalism and international influence .
(John Michael Ray, "Rhode Island's Reactions...)
The Providence_Daily_Journal answered the Daily_Post by stating that the raid of John_Brown was characteristic of Democratic acts of violence and that `` He was acting in direct opposition to the Republican_Party , who proclaim as one of their cardinal principles that they do not interfere with slavery in the states '' .
(James Thurber, "The Future, If Any, of Comedy,"...)
I wrote a_few years ago that one of the cardinal rules of writing is that the reader should be able to get some idea of what the story is about .Synonyms central fundamental key cardinal primal Related Terms important
2. cardinal [ n ] (Roman Catholic Church) one of a group of more than 100 prominent bishops in the Sacred College who advise the Pope and elect new PopesUsed in print:
(Irving Stone, The Agony and the Ecstasy....)
`` I am working for the Cardinal of San_Dionigi .Synonyms cardinal Related Terms bishop bellarmine dean borgia Sacred_College Roman_Catholic
3. cardinal [ n ] the number of elements in a mathematical set; denotes a quantity but not the orderSynonyms cardinal cardinal_number Related Terms number frequency googolplex googol
4. cardinal [ n ] a variable color averaging a vivid redSynonyms carmine cardinal Related Terms red carmine
5. cardinal [ a ] being or denoting a numerical quantity but not order
Examples: "cardinal numbers"
6. Cardinal [ n ] Last name, frequency rank in the U.S. is 7622Synonyms Cardinal
7. cardinal [ n ] crested thick-billed North American finch having bright red plumage in the maleSynonyms cardinal_grosbeak Richmondena_Cardinalis Cardinalis_cardinalis redbird cardinal Related Terms finch Richmondena
|Definition of Cardigan_Welsh_corgi|
|Definition of Cardiidae|
|Definition of Cardillo|
|Definition of Cardin|
|Definition of cardinal|
|Definition of cardinal_bellarmine|
|Definition of cardinal_compass_point|
|Definition of cardinal_flower|
|Definition of cardinal_grosbeak|