Definition of can_i
1. can [ v ] be able to, have the ability toUsed in print:
(Ralph B. Long. The Sentence and Its Parts: A...)
Thus in it 's incredible what that boy can eat dominant stress is likely to be on incredible , and eat will have strong stress also .
(Ralph J. Salisbury, "On the Old Santa Fe Trail...)
just_as p_'_lite an - an cohnfidunt , an Ah says ' Uh_coahse you cai n't ' , but he says ' Whah nawt , you ah hevin one ' ?
(Vina Delmar, The Big Family....)
Gansevoort said , `` It requires an omniscient eye to select those if any on whom we can now rely .
`` You are the only man aboard who can be in doubt '' .
(Jesse Hill Ford, Mountains of Gilead....)
And you know you will always wonder all_of your life whether it was because you wanted him so bad that you did n't get him , and you can feel nearly sorry enough to cry when you think_of that other guy , the chump who begged you to marry him , the one with the plastered hair and the car he could n't afford and the too shiny shoes .Synonyms can cannot can`t
2. can [ v ] preserve in a can or tin
Examples: "tinned foods are not very tasty"
(The Atlanta Constitution...)
She was ready to kill the beef , dress it out , and with vegetables from her garden was going_to can soup , broth , hash , and stew against the winter .
And one of the best services available to the people who try to raise and can meat , to plant , grow vegetables and put them up .Synonyms can put_up tin Related Terms preserve cooking cannery
3. can [ n ] airtight sealed metal container for food or drink or paint etc.Used in print:
(Jack Kaplan, "The Health Machine Menace: Therapy by...)
He then sold her minerals to cure her kidney ailment , a can of sage `` to make her look_like a girl again '' , and an application of plain mud to take her wrinkles away .Synonyms can tin_can tin Related Terms container caddy coffee_can cannikin milk_can oilcan soda_can beer_can
4. can [ v ] terminate the employment of
Examples: "The boss fired his secretary today" "The company terminated 25% of its workers"
(Dolores Hitchens, Footsteps in the Night....)
Let her call Crosson if she wanted to , let Crosson raise_the_roof or even can him , he did n't care .Synonyms fire can force_out give_the_axe dismiss sack send_away terminate give_the_sack give_notice Related Terms hire remove retire squeeze_out furlough dismiss pension_off drive_out dismissal
5. can [ n ] a buoy with a round bottom and conical topSynonyms can_buoy can Related Terms buoy
6. can [ n ] the fleshy part of the human body that you sit on
Examples: "he deserves a good kick in the butt" "are you going to sit on your fanny and do nothing?"
7. can [ n ] the quantity contained in a canSynonyms canful can Related Terms containerful
8. can [ n ] a plumbing fixture for defecation and urinationSynonyms pot toilet throne crapper potty stool commode can Related Terms plumbing_fixture potty_seat flushless_toilet flush_toilet bathroom toilet toilet_seat toilet_bowl defecate
9. can [ v ] expresses permission
Examples: "You may leave now" "Can I have another piece of cake?"
10. can [ v ] get to or be allowed to do something
Examples: "May I go to the movies tonight?" "Can I have some ice cream?" "We got to play video games all day long"
11. can [ n ] a room equipped with toilet facilitiesSynonyms toilet john lavatory privy bathroom facility can lav Related Terms room public_toilet loo washroom head toilet
|Definition of camshaft|
|Definition of camus|
|Definition of Camuso|
|Definition of camwood|
|Definition of can|
|Definition of can_buoy|
|Definition of can_of_worms|
|Definition of can_opener|
|Definition of can-do|