Definition of bayt
1. bat [ v ] strike with, or as if with a baseball bat
Examples: "bat the ball"
(Peter Field, Rattlesnake Ridge....)
Russ sprang through to bat it nimbly aside .
(Samuel Elkin, "The Ball Player," Nugget, 6: 5...)
In the last of the sixth inning Mike_Deegan got_up to bat and hit a fast_ball over the left_fielder 's head .
The game started again and in the eighth inning Mike_Deegan came up to bat .Synonyms bat Related Terms hit switch-hit baseball batter batting
2. bat [ n ] an implement used in baseball by the batterUsed in print:
(The Sun, [Baltimore],...)
`` Take a ride on this one '' , Brooks_Robinson greeted Hansen as the Bird third_sacker grabbed a bat , headed for the plate and bounced a third inning two run double off the left centerfield wall tonight .
(Rocky Mountains News, [Denver, Colorado],...)
The Giants who had been anemic with the bat in their windy Candlestick_Park suddenly found the formula in Milwaukee 's park .
(St. Louis Post-Dispatch,...)
Until the Bucs ' bats quieted_down a_bit in Cincinnati over the weekend , the champions had eight men hitting over .300 .Synonyms bat lumber baseball_bat Related Terms baseball_equipment handle
3. bat [ n ] nocturnal mouselike mammal with forelimbs modified to form membranous wings and anatomical adaptations for echolocation by which they navigateUsed in print:
(Octavia Waldo, A Cup of the Sun....)
Or the surging whirling sounds of bats at night , when their black bodies dived into the blackness above and below the amber street_lights .Synonyms bat chiropteran Related Terms placental carnivorous_bat fruit_bat Chiroptera wing
4. bat [ v ] wink briefly
Examples: "bat one's eyelids"
(Los Angeles Times...)
`` Billie was really beautiful '' ! exclaimed Vera_Forbes_Adams , batting lovely big eyes behind glitter rimmed glasses .Synonyms bat flutter Related Terms blink
5. bat [ n ] a turn batting (in baseball)
Examples: "he was at bat when it happened" or "he got 4 hits in 4 at-bats"
(St. Louis Post-Dispatch,...)
Scherer also had a big night at bat with four hits in five trips including a double , Len_Boehmer also was 4 - for - 5 with two doubles and Dave_Ritchie had a home_run and a triple .Synonyms at-bat bat Related Terms turn baseball
6. bat [ v ] beat thoroughly in a competition or fight
Examples: "We licked the other team on Sunday!"
7. bat [ v ] use a bat
Examples: "Who's batting?"
8. bat [ n ] a bat used in playing cricketSynonyms bat cricket_bat Related Terms cricket_equipment handle
9. bat [ n ] a small racket with a long handle used for playing squashSynonyms squash_racquet bat squash_racket Related Terms racket
10. bat [ v ] have a turn at bat
Examples: "Jones bats first, followed by Martinez"
11. bat [ n ] a club used for hitting a ball in various gamesSynonyms bat Related Terms club baseball_bat paddle
|Definition of Baston|
|Definition of Basuto|
|Definition of Basutoland|
|Definition of Basye|
|Definition of bat|
|Definition of bat_boy|
|Definition of bat_mitzvah|
|Definition of Bata|
|Definition of Bataan|