Definition of assult
1. assault [ v ] attack someone physically or emotionally
Examples: "The mugger assaulted the woman" "Nightmares assailed him regularly"
(Booton Herndon, "From Custer to Korea, The 7th Cavalry"...)
When the Korean_war began , on June 25 , 1950 , the anniversary of the day Custer had gone_down fighting at the Little_Big_Horn and the day the regiment had assaulted the beachhead of Leyte during World_War_2 , , the 7_th_Cavalry was not in the best fighting condition .
(Joseph Chadwick, No Land Is Free....)
Brannon , you 've assaulted a law_officer and '' -Synonyms assault assail attack set_on Related Terms rush jump rape beset molest desecrate reassail blindside savage sic bulldog bait attacker attack
2. assault [ n ] close fighting during the culmination of a military attackUsed in print:
(Leo Lemon, "Catch Up With" and "Something to...)
In this manner , he seeks to expunge from his own soul the guilt_pangs caused by his personal assaults against the_English at Dunkirk .Synonyms assault Related Terms battle storm resisting_arrest attack military
3. assault [ n ] a threatened or attempted physical attack by someone who appears to be able to cause bodily harm if not stoppedSynonyms assault Related Terms attack battery mugging aggravated_assault assail
4. assault [ n ] an assault in which the assailant makes physical contactUsed in print:
(Kenneth Allsop, The Bootleggers and Their Era...)
O_'_Banion 's first conflict with the police came in 1909 , at seventeen , when he was committed to Bridewell_Prison for three months for burglary ; two years later he served another three months for assault .Synonyms assault assault_and_battery battery Related Terms crime attack mugging resisting_arrest
5. assault [ n ] thoroughbred that won the triple crown in 1946Synonyms assault Related Terms thoroughbred
6. assault [ v ] attack verbally, in speech or writing
Examples: "The editors of the left-leaning paper attacked the new House Speaker"
7. assault [ n ] turning your attention to a problem or a job etc.
Examples: "his attack on the problem was misguided" "he did not make a direct assault on her affections"
8. assault [ a ] used in an attack
Examples: "assault weapons", "attack planes"
9. assault [ v ] force (someone) to have sex against their will
Examples: "The woman was raped on her way home at night"
10. assault [ n ] the crime of forcing a woman to submit to sexual intercourse against her willSynonyms violation assault ravishment sexual_assault sexual_abuse rape Related Terms crime sex_crime date_rape statutory_rape rape
|Definition of assassinate|
|Definition of assassinated|
|Definition of assassination|
|Definition of assassinator|
|Definition of assault|
|Definition of assault_and_battery|
|Definition of assault_gun|
|Definition of assault_rifle|
|Definition of assaulted|